PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA cadet pilot (Merged - Again!).
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2005, 02:30
billkill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No doubt of course there is a large number of non degree holders. This is because previously, there weren't as many degree holders as in the present. But now, they do weed out by academic qualifications first and this is due to the large number of applicants. During my time, my batch were mostly diploma holders with only a couple holding degrees. And yes people with diplomas still do get in now and that will be due to other factors (interest, all-rounded individual, or even if your spouse is a current pilot with the company). The questions post is just part of a psychometric test and not testing how well you are academically but how in-depth you are with reasoning. If that measures academic ability, then I would have to say a Sec 1 kid would also qualify to be a pilot.

Interest plays a vital role as I have mentioned before. Academic qualifications will get you selected for the 1st interview and also taken into consideration at the later stage. Interests, capability, how amiable and sociable you are, are the factors considered during the interview. At the end of the day, for the interviews, still depends on whether the interviewers like you. There is no standard grading system on that so it's all up to the interviewers.
Just like any interview with any company, the person does not like you, no matter how well you present yourself, you won't pass.

I don't know about other airlines, but at SIA, we are given enough rest and enough time for sleep. And so that's up to you on how you make use of your rest time. If you are a party animal and get drained out during your rest period, then you will feel tired and stressed. It's normal to be away on weekends and holidays. Even your child's birthday, you are not spared. But that has been the case long time ago and I am sure aspiring pilots know what they are getting into. If you can't make the sacrifices, it ain't the job for you. Nothing comes for free.

To paperplane,
is up to you to set the mood, not the interviewers. If you are quiet and tense, the mood get solemn. And remember, you might not be the first one in line. If you are the last one, the interviewers may be exhausted and tired. Just the other day, a fellow colleague was complaining about the large number of applicants and the process of interviewing really wore him out. That's why bring your best smile. I think that's just the basics for any interview you go for, not just for SIA.