PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canada: Training & Employment prospects
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2000, 08:56
paco

It's certainly a lot easier than it used to be (I know one who lives in France and works here), but be aware that the industry is highly seasonal - contractors tend to get hired between the end of May and the beginning of October, depending on the work and the company, plus the heliskiing season.

In general, if you go to the West, you need a mountain course, if you go to the East, you need an IR (though this requirement is not so strict), and you have to make it as easy as possible for the employers because they are lazy buggers - they expect you to have every rating on your licence that they will possibly need for the next five years, i.e. they do almost no work at all! 206 is good, AStar is better if you can do it. I have found that virtually no sponsorship is offered, even if they are desperate - Canadian, I know, need some IR rated guys, in the east at any rate.

I can see their point to a certain extent, as pilots move on very quickly, especially after getting a lot of training under their belt. If any type ratings are offered, the younger guys get them in lieu of wages or prospects.

You really do need to get around and meet people - I know it's a big place, but sending resumes is no good at all, since they tend to read them only when you turn up and force them to anyway.

Still, not to be too pessimistic - if you can stand the management, the guys you work with are the best and you will end up as a better pilot after time over here.

cheers

phil