PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Dynamics: Gyroscopic Precession
Old 11th Aug 2001, 23:53
Dave Jackson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heedm

What exactly did you think about me, Dave?

Only good things. You postings portray a person who can give and take a joke.

Interesting information on the unicopter site.

Thanks. The UniCopter concept may not work. But, until some person or calculation shows that won't, it is being pursued.

You going to Abbotsford this weekend?

No. Too busy thinking up postings, and also, Nick didn't say that the Comanche was going to be there. Are you going?

Lu;

I agree with what you say and have reiterated it in different words

The basic Bell rotorheads have a 90-degree teetering, without delta3.
The Robinson and the Kaman rotorheads have teetering with delta3, but their types of delta3 differ from each other.
In tail rotors, the delta3 is 45-degrees, therefore every degree of teeter is 'removed' by an identical number of degrees of opposing pitch.

The only area of disagreement is the small point below and it is probably only the terminology;

This coupling tends to restore the pitch in the blade moving forward and takes pitch out of the blade moving backwards very much like a tail rotor.

This [teetering] coupling (ie. delta3) removes pitch from the blade that is teetering up and adds pitch to the blade that is teetering down.

We are talking about a number of different 'devices' such as delta3 (wonder what happened to delta1 and delta2), flapping hinge offset, phase angle and gyroscopic precession. Each one has its own sub-divisions and complexities, even before addressing the complexities of tying them together.

To separate the subjects; I would like to start a separate new thread [Helicopter Dynamics: Phase Angle].
Maybe we can jointly learn some more about this subject as well.

[ 11 August 2001: Message edited by: Dave Jackson ]