PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Dynamics: Gyroscopic Precession
Old 5th Aug 2001, 15:31
Nick Lappos

Dave Jackson said:
I believe that a simple teetering rotor, with no delta3, exhibits a 90-degree phase lag, which is totally caused by the blade flying to position. Perhaps aerodynamic precession, but not gyroscopic precession.

Nick Sez:
Bravo Dave! You are absolutely correct. The old bugaboo about Gyroscopic Precession is quite mythological, but almost impossible to squelch, because it seems so plausible, and the real issues are so difficult to describe intuitively.

Basically, the whirling blade flaps at a natural frequency that depends on the centrifugal force to return it to its normal position. Picture the blade with a strong pair of springs, one below and one above the blade that oppose its flapping motion. If we pull the blade tip down, and let go, it will bounce a bunch of times like a diving board. Gor a helicopter, there are no springs, (an elastomeric rotor has such little spring force it changes this not a bit) but there is a strong centrifugal force that opposes a flapping motion. This force is a spring term that acts just like that diving board.

It turns out (in math that gets pretty stinky) that the blade resonates at 1 per rev, because the centrifugal spring changes its force with rpm, so it always allows the blade to resonate at its whirling rpm frequency. It also turns out that the phase relationship between the cyclic pitch (swash plate angle) and the tip path is about 90 degrees, depending on a bunch of blade properties.

Gyroscopes have nothing to do with it at all!

I just reaffirmed my understanding by re-reading a good source (for science and engineering pros):

Stepniewski & Keys - ROTARY - WING AERODYNAMICS
New York: Dover Pub.