PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pay As You Dine has emptied the Dining Room(Of diners)
Old 1st Aug 2005, 21:04
BEagle

Received 328 Likes on 115 Posts
Normally I take anything 16B says with a pinch of salt (£0.03 plus VAT at a contractor run Mess near you), however, on this occasion he is absolutely right!

The last time I 'existed' (I hesitate to say 'lived') in an Officers' Mess was 1984. I used to get annoyed about paying extra messing for meals I didn't eat; for example, have breakfast on Monday, luncheon on Tuesday and dinner on Wednesday and you paid 3 days' extra messing. Have all the meals on just 1 day and you paid only 1 day's extra messing.

Then there was a breakfast at RAF Wattisham which I well remember a couple of years earlier. The Stn PEdO was attacking a quivering mound of dead pig and egg with all the extras. Cost to him, being a beanstealer? Nothing. Sat next to him was a delightfully petite Air Traffickerette who was nibbling a piece of toast. Cost to her? A full day's messing plus extra messing. What utter bolleaux!

The problem is entirely down to the creeping cancer of contractorisation and lack of firm direction. They should be booted firmly up their corporate jacksies and TOLD what to provide!

Not my problem any more as mere civilian filth. But if I had to suffer such nonsense, I'd walk into the dining room and pick up a plate and some cutlery, then set up my barbi' on the grass in front of the mess. When I'd finished, I'd dump the dirty crockery and cutlery on a dining room table for the thieving contractor to wash up. (If it was raining, then I'd use an electric wok in the dining room instead of the barbi')..

Which utter f***wit allowed 'pay as you dine' to be implemented in such a ridiculous way?