PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA cadet pilot (Merged - Again!).
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2005, 18:35
herz22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The first they look at is your academic qualifications, the degree and where you got your degree from. The chances of non-degree holders are very slim.
I have to disgree with you on the aobve point. The difference btw a 'O/A' level or Diploma as compared with a degree holder is 0.0002%.

It is at the end of the day, do you have the interest to be a pilot. Lets try a simple maths test, give yourself 5 mins to answer these questions(taken from http://www.geocities.com/khlim777_my...pilot1.htm#DoI)

1. Divide 4 metres by 5
2. If 21 litres of paint cover 7/8 of a wall, how much paint is needed to finish?
3. Of 250 employees, 170 are male, what percentage are female?
4. A 120.4cm rod is cut into three pieces. Each cut wastes 0.2cm, how long is each piece?
5. A 60cm wire is bent into a rectangle whose sides are twice the length of the ends. What is the area of the rectangle?
6. A circle with a diameter of 4cm is drawn containing a square whose corners just touch the circumference of the circle. What is the area of the square? (Square of half the diagonal (8cm))
7. 2500 bricks fill one lorry, how many brick in six lorries?

I would say most of the 60% pilots are non degree holders in the airline.

Like what you say that they need an all-rounded person, and i agree on that. They would want someone who has the passion for flying, knowledgeable, confident, friendly and sociable (so to know the stewardess ) During the interview, you have to express your passion that you want to be an AVIATOR and not here for the $$.

An Airline crew (incl pilots and cabin crew) does not have glam job like before. Nowadays ppl are very well-travelled and with the introduction of budget carriers more ppl can travel.

So expect short off days and lack of sleep yet performing at optimal level during work. No hoildays or weekends with your love ones. Personal safety when you are at overseas station. Loneliness (coz there is only you and the Captain).

If this is the job you are looking for before you are 60, convince them that you are the right person they are looking for.

Just my 0.02....