PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training, hours building and first job prospects in America
Old 2nd Aug 2001, 18:33
Lu Zuckerman

Iconoclast

Location: The home of Dudley Dooright-Where the lead dog is the only one that gets a change of scenery.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

To: RW-1

I beg to differ with you as it is demonstrated to flight students at the safety course obviously conducted at the factory.. The following is a post that appeared in the 18-degree thread:

In November 1994 with about 100 hours I had the pleasure of attending the Robinson Safely Course. It was during the changeover from doing, to not doing Low G condition examples.
Obviously the following is clouded with everything that has happened since but should fit in nicely with nothing you are trying to prove.
So we flew along the beach at some lovely altitude. Approx. 1500. Instructor on the controls student dumb and watching.
Pull back on the stick; push forward and low G. The same instant you are staring out the front of the cockpit at about 90 degrees to the horizon over to your right. It isn't some slow flight condition it is instant. Bang you are there. Maybe this was pronounced as the tail rotor had been slung into completely clean air.
Now Lu, you know that if you have the pleasure of putting in left cyclic to correct the attitude, game over. A tad of left is OK as Tim Tucker has mentioned but by far the most important thing is the aft pull. By tad we aren't talking inches we are talking fractions.
This was done twice to me and I can assure you it is the most serious 20 minutes of training I have ever received during both examples I watched. I can assure you that I learnt from watching the horizon, the aircraft and the cyclic movements.
As a side note after entry to a low G condition and subsequent recovery we weren't facing in the same direction. We were now facing the opposite direction.
So here is the valuable lesson for the day. Should you ever have the misfortune to enter a low G situation in a Robinson helicopter the aft cyclic is the most important to regain control of the rotor disc the subsequent left cyclic will correct for roll and everything else just doesn't matter.
I can't see where 18 degrees makes a whole heap of a difference here. If you ever learnt to fly and then subsequently had the misfortune to witness then you won't ever forget. To those that haven't you sure haven't missed anything.