PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aussie-made Stealth movie "sucks"
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2005, 10:29
itchybum

Location: Over 250 posts so far. Perhaps I support Pprune by posting regularly.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aussie-made Stealth movie "sucks"

Apparently the new flick, Stealth, has gone down like a BBQ hot-plate in the USA. I never knew it was made in Aust but that doesn't seem to be to blame.

The movie-bigshots should try giving at least a little lip-service to realism when it comes to aircraft in their movies.

I haven't seen Stealth yet but I saw the previews and I watched Pearl Harbour, too, in the vague hope it might contain some inspired air scenes.

Instead, I cringed when the Vals were able to dive vertically then execute a 70G pull-up about 20ft above the ground to fly level and strafe accurately whilst hack/flick/zooming between crane legs and warehouses all the while demonstrating roll-rates comparable to the AV8B.

Also - women pilots in an action flick???????

Read on.............

It's one of the worst reviewed movies of the year and, embarrassingly for the Australian film industry, it was made downunder.

The new action film Stealth, shot last year in and around Sydney for $A130 million, has been savaged by America's most esteemed critics.

Starring Oscar winner Jamie Foxx, Josh Lucas and Jessica Biel, Stealth opened in North American cinemas this weekend with critics almost unanimous the movie about a fighter jet going haywire after being struck by lightning (yes, that's the plot) was not good.

The reviews were bad. Maybe even ugly.

America's best-known critic Roger Ebert described Stealth as "an offence against taste, intelligence and the noise pollution code".

Australian cinemagoers willing to take the plunge (and risk their $15.00) will have to wait until September 8 before it arrives.

When the film's Hollywood producers decided to make Stealth in Sydney NSW Premier Bob Carr was over the moon, crowing about how it would create more than 2,000 jobs.

Stealth, however, had a rocky shoot with environmentalists shutting down filming in the Blue Mountains because they feared the habitat of an endangered giant dragonfly would be disturbed.

The film, directed by Rob Cohen, best known for high-action films The Fast and the Furious and XXX, was lambasted by critics for everything from unrealistic special effects to a "borderline terrible" script.

Others asked why Foxx, the current best actor Oscar winner for Ray, and the highly-respected Sam Shepard, would agree to do the movie.

More here, including reviews. In the entertainment section near the bottom