PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aileron/rudder interconnect
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2005, 00:11
'India-Mike

Aileron/rudder interconnect

Flew a Grob 115D2 Heron last week. My Tommy was in for maintenance and the organisation has some ex-Navy Herons. Was recommended to have an aeros session in the Heron by a CAA flight ops man of my acquaintaince.

Delightful aeroplane. A very good compromise. But it has an aileron/rudder interconnect - why? Apart from the stick moving while I steered with the pedals on the ground, I didn't notice it in the air while aerobatting, particularly during stall turns, where I might have expected it to interfere. Why did the manufacturers put in this interconnect? It appears to serve no useful purpose, particularly in the role for which this aeroplane is intended. It didn't help, and it didn't get in the way. And it operates in the wrong sense for x-wind landings (it applies left aileron for left pedal, and vice versa).

My understanding is that such interconnects are used to provide for 'balanced' turns without pilot rudder input; or can mimic better lateral (Lv) stability when sideslipping by encouraging the pilot to apply more aileron force with rudder.

The spring effect was pretty weak. Does the Tutor (G115E) have the same interconnect?

Other than that, a super light aeroplane. Great all-round view, easy to use systems, and very pleasant control system feel, even though the stick is pivoted under the seat. Rolling's a bit ponderous but probably no worse than the Chippy I fly. I might even venture to suggest that rolling aside, it's better than the Bulldog. But why have an aileron/rudder interconnect?