PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia: Training, Licence Conversion, Job Prospects
Old 8th Aug 2000, 14:58
alltorque

Lightbulb More on Aus Heli Schools...

I have been researching the Aus training situ but I am not in a position to travel very far since I need to hold my current job to finance the bottomless pit!

I got a very good reference for Bankstown Helos from the Insurance Pool & pilots/associates I spoke to. Bill Miller certainly did impress me (equally his IPs who took me over the site) but the problem is really the choice available - I can only afford it if I train in Sydney.

Further discussion on training/making a start in Australia would be appreciated...

Especially this stuff about hanging out *unpaid* in the NT for a year or TWO(!?) before getting even a chance to drive a mustering heli?!!?? I would actually do this no problem if I though it would result in a job that would give 4-500hrs a year till I was able to command better prospects.

Especially in Aus, the bush lifestyle is one of the attractive aspects of the profession and "going bush" for a few years to consolidate experience/hours is really rather appealing to me, since I am well and truly ready to get shut of the big city for a bit.