PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jessica Starmer - BALPA's view (Update - Appeal decision)
Old 29th Jul 2005, 08:16
Capt Sly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also wonder how Mrs Starmer is going to feel going back to flying, knowing that her employer believes (or believed) that she will be operating in an unsafe situation. Wonder how long it will be before 'safety' issues start arising?
It is only one man (PoD) who thinks it is a saftey issue - unfortunately he is one of the higher people in flight ops and it is him that has been pushing the BA case. If you read the rulings then you will see the BA training department saying it is not unsafe for somebody of those hours to fly part time. So BA's own training department completely blew away the BA management arguement.

For me, therefore, the argument that one has flown a modern commercial jet for 450hrs/year for 20 years doesn't really justify the conclusion that this is best practise. And thats what I understand BA always endeavour to claim?
So what is the best number of hours to fly a year? Yes 10 is a bit low (recency etc), and I'm sure you'll agree 900 is too high (fatigue etc), is there really an optimum number of hours to fly in one year?

My 2p