PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monarch
Thread: Monarch
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2005, 14:28
kala87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

Re the last posting, Menorca is hardly a new destination for Monarch. I've been flying there on Monarch Scheduled since 1995 from LTN, and the route was already well established back then. The flights are well patronised and in recent years have been operated by a 757. Monarch's service and food have always been excellent, way better than BA.

I hope they make a success of the Newquay-AGP route. Maybe we can persuade the Spanish to come to Oggyland for their surfing hols! Cornish pasties and cream teas on every flight??

I know the future of Newquay Airport is in doubt due to uncertainty over the military side of the airfield, which pays for ATC, fire cover, runway maintenance etc. However, a recent visit to the airport convinced me that passenger facilities and apron space at the airport desperately needs upgrading now, not in 2 or 3 years' time. The terminal is way too small to accomodate the recent increase in flights. At busy periods the check in queue blocks the exit from the baggage reclaim area and the entrance to the toilets.

The airport also doesn't even seem to have a proper apron for civilian operations. On the day I was visiting, the military-type dispersal areas and taxiway near the terminal were completely blocked by a BMI Baby 737, Air Southwest Dash-7 and a BAe146 charter flight. An arriving FR 737 had to park on the military side of the airport, about a mile from the terminal. The bemused pax were bussed to the terminal in a ramshackle collection of buses including a pensioned-off London Transport double-decker!

Welcome to Cornwall!