PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Angle of attack while banked
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2005, 11:56
John Farley

Do a Hover - it avoids G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry chaps…and thank you John T... we seem to have finished up talking about more than one thing here. Which may be my fault.

Time for a recap.

At the top Gingerbread Man asked a question without any explanation of the circumstances in which it was asked. I saw it as a clever dick issue and responded accordingly.

Then I was asked if I was sure that only the wing in front of the aileron had its AOA changed by use of the aileron. So I replied Yep. That still stands.

Sadly when I did that Yep I had already missed Gingerbread's background to his instructor’s original query - which puts a totally different slant on the whole thing. In that context his instructor was doing an excellent job and trying to advance safety in low speed flight - which some will know is a good cause I am always banging on about.

In my view the small AoA difference between the inside and outside wings in a turn due to the lower speed of the inner wing (meaning that the outside one has to have a tad less AoA than the outer one if the bank angle is constant) is a total red herring here as the difference is so small. In fact looking at the way wings are made I would think there was a better chance of asymmetry between the two wings stalling characteristics due to manufacturing tolerances than such a theoretical point.

When it comes to stalling in a finals turn trying to decide which wing will drop first is far from easy. Just look at some of the issues (variables if you will) that could be involved.

1 First and foremost is the ball in the middle?

2 What are the type dependant slipstream effects round the wing (slipstream swirls and affects the two wings differently depending on power and airspeed)

3 What about flap effects which could add or subtract to the point in 2.

4 What about pilot technique? (Is the pilot using large coarse aileron inputs both ways to fly the turn or smooth low gain low amplitude inputs)

5 If there is turbulence what about an up-gust that could hit one wing more than another.

So the only way to treat all this is to teach good low speed flying technique. This should be aimed at making the pilot’s instinctive reaction to an unexpected wing drop one of checking the yoke forward (to kill the stall dead) while using rudder just enough to stop any yaw (not to pick the wing up) simultaneously slamming full power and then rolling the wings level. Then and only then try to recover the flight path. If close to the ground use all the height available to fly out of the dive.

Now, if your instructor suggested that one had to be prepared for the inside wing to drop and if that happened then most people’s instinctive reaction would be a handful of aileron before anything else (very bad) then full marks to him.

If he suggested that the inside wing is most likely to drop JUST because of the original thing about AoA in a turn then I would suggest that was an oversimplification. But not one that deserves a kick!

JF