PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Soton 30 yr plan launched
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2005, 11:40
liquid sunshine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having reviewed the draft document there does seem to be a real lack of ambition and drive from the management at the airport. I fully understand the restrictions under which the airport operates but much of what is in the draft is too little too late as far as SOU( or EGHI, for all you ICAO lovers) is concerned. The current infrastructure is creaking a little to cope with current demands. There will be no business left if the airport waits 5-10 yrs to make any significant improvements. The management ( i include BAA senior mngt in this) should be looking at the way some of the smaller airports are really driving themselves forward and take a leaf out of their book before it is too late. The likes of INV etc have better landing aids etc, and a very nice roomy terminal than SOU, so I would be intetested to know where exactly SOU see themselves in the overall picture.
I think the draft lacked any real imagination to help expand the airport.

I believe some real creativity and some drive is what is required along the lines of what has been previously discussed to position the airport for what will be a very competitive future.

Perhaps someone might be able to shed some light on the pssibility of redeveloping the exisiting terminal areas. I.E. Building over the top of access roads etc and maybe redesigning the multi storey car park to allow expansion of stands 6-12?