PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Islamist Web Site Warns U.A.E. to Expel Non-Muslims
Old 28th Jul 2005, 09:10
Fubaar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The day that happens, Dubai is finished, now we might disagree and have different opinions
I disagree and have a different opinion.

Should an attack occur, Dubai will be like any other expat-dominated city or state. Many, particularly expat women and children, will leave - temporarily. Many - probably most, (but granted, not all) - of the men will stay, because they have to earn a living. Recruiting managers will have a bit more trouble finding candidates, but they'll either up the pay rates to attract enough or look for candidates from areas they might not usually look. And for those not personally affected, life will go on, perhaps not quite as pleasantly as before.

Some tourists will stay away, but, unless there are follow up attacks, they'll be back if the prices are right. Look at Egypt if you don't believe that. Let's face it, unless the attack is on a tourist hotel, how many tourits in Dubai would even be aware something had happened?

Someone's said it already - it's probably not to the (what do we called them?) the bomb setters' interests to cause themselves any problems this close to "home". Unless the local status quo changes in some way (always a possibility), I think the professionals will steer clear of making any problems for themselves in Dubai. (I wish I was so confident of the young hot heads worrying about consequences.)

Not wnating to make light of a very serious matter, but have you considered that maybe they've been at it already for some time and nobody's noticed? (I mean terrorising the expats.) Let's face it - Dubai residents face a never ending succession of people hell bent on committing suicide daily on Shk Zayed Road.