PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helmets - Should you? and Which?
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2000, 06:32
syd_rapac

Thumbs up

The use of helmets in other than pure RPT ops should be mandatory for both the pax and crew for a number of reasons.
1. the other person wearing the helmet might just be able to get you out of the wreckage prior to it lighting off.
2. The helmet usually provides a higher degree of hearing protection.Eh what did you say? Yes I fly helicopters, no I'm not in the artillery I just talk loud.
3. If you fly with the clear visor down you have a far greater chance of surviving a birdstrike or FOD in the eye.
4. Final point is that you don't necessarily have to crash to sustain a disabling head injury. Am aware of one crewdog that had his helmet split due to the pilot taking some extreme avoiding action to avoid bits of a yacht during a winch job.
In Dunnunda a number of helicopter users are providing helmets ( Gentex or similar) to their staff in particularly high risk enviroments, typically bushfire and national park work. The ground pounders are also being encouraged to wear their normal helmet (complete with fully fastened chinstrap so it doesn't blow off.)The chainsaw helmets with integral earmuffs and chin strap are becoming more popular. Some operating companies also supply helmets for higher risk task's however I would be reluctant to put on a helmet that is full of someone elses old sweat! Also if the helmet doesn't fit properly it can rotate forward if something does go wrong, effectively putting the lights out with the visor breaking your nose.

Best summarised as " Dont need the head, dont need a helmet" For Helo ops don't leave the ground without one.

SYD