PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anoraks on, chaps! Tornado GR question
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2005, 05:24
BigX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last GR1 sortie

Jackonicko

The last GR1 sortie I flew was at Lossie on 26 Jun 2002. The aircraft was ZA411 (a trainer - allocated codes TT by XV(R) at the time - assuming my logbook is accurate). That doesn't necessarily mean its permanent owner was XV(R) as it could have been on long or short term loan to 12 Sqn (SOP fleet management within Lossie, and between Lossie & Marham) or simply borrowed by 12 for 1 sortie as trainers were always in short supply. My bet was that it was seeing out its final days on 12 prior to going to Warton.

Up until roughly Apr 2002, all my XV(R) sorties were on GR1s. Thereafter, XV(R) swapped wholly to GR4s for all course training; only the odd GR1 retained as hacks until Jun/Jul for SCT or bouncing (I recall 2 or 3 parked at the end of the pan). This was to ensure ab initios were best prepared for the future (??). The overnight switch by XV(R) resulted in the op sqns which had been almost exclusively operating GR4s for some months to suddenly find themselves flying GR1s again - particularly trainers.

If anyone thinks my gen is wrong, I'll deny everything and change my log on! Cheers to all GR4 chaps out there - I miss the valleys but the water's lovely and warm outside.

Buster

(Can't spel for tofee)

Last edited by BigX; 28th Jul 2005 at 07:38.