PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway incursion - JFK - 6 July "Two jets nearly crash at Kennedy"
Old 28th Jul 2005, 04:40
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Shore Guy: I'm surprised that you could state that extra comment on the radio without two different people both blocking your transmission.

This topic is quite educational. Except for flying into La "Garbage" (Guardia) last summer, I had forgotten about the influence on traffic at the other two airports. La "Garbage" (due to very short length of runways and the appreciation that I never lived next door in Queens or any other nasty adjoining town ; never mind Jamaica by JFK ) .

A friend was on the curving approach into JFK about 15 years ago behind Aeroflot. The Aeroflot crew was told to change runways twice and when they decided that a go-around was necessary, they told the ATC guy "your approach is for the s**ts" (Lufthansa might have used a word such as "beschissen"). Yep, for many pilots, a crappy airport but with a beautiful new terminal (the same company designed AMS Schipol) and very long runways.