PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 60
Thread: Age 60
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2005, 22:17
Otterman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't worry about me. If the T&C's I signed up for stay put, I will happily retire at my contractual retirement age. I can tell you from personal experience that the majority of the pilots at the majors are looking forward to that day. It is only the people who have had bad luck or have made a bit of a bungle of their finances, or even the few who can't do without the job who will be coming your way.

This will change big time though, if (when) the airlines change the retirement age to the "new" legal limit, and you can count me in that group.

The last ten years has seen a steady erosion to our T&C's. The attempt to change the 60 rule should be viewed as another attack on those T&C's. I know there are a lot of guys leaving the low costs to take up the positions that are slowly opening up at the major carriers in Europe. They do this to better themselves and take advantage of the overall T&C's that generations of pilots have fought for. The retirement package forms a huge chunk of that attraction.

So foxmoth what you are saying is correct, if the 60 rule changes there will be another move downward in other T&C's on your side of the fence. The brown smelly stuff tends to move downhill. That is why I just can't rap my mind around these people who view the 60 rule in isolation. It will affect everyone, don't make any mistake about it.

Regards O.