PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jessica Starmer - BALPA's view (Update - Appeal decision)
Old 27th Jul 2005, 21:32
airrage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guiness Queen

Airrage,

Please clarify for me then that any UK worker, in any indsutry is entitled to demand (and then be given) 50% part-time working regardless of circumstances?

So regardless of whether the person has children (otherwise than would be discrimination against non-parents). Regardless of how long they have been employed and regardless of sex every employee is entitled to work as and when they like?
I can't clarify that, nor did I try. But then that is not the legal case for which JS faught and won against BA. You can debate all you want about your opinion of employment law, but JS's case was about INDIRECT SEXUAL discrimination. The court found not only was BA indirectly discriminating against her, but safety was not a legitimate BA defense(as per other comments here), nor was BA's financial ability to offer her PTWK(another false arguement here).

I think the area that has sparked the debate, is not because BA were discriminating but because JS showed a complete lack of compromise.
By her lack of compromise I guess you are referring to her inflexibility on not allowing her employer to continue to ignore her rights, and ignore the fact they were breaking current UK employment legislation in the process ? Why should she compromise when, as proven by a UK court of Law twice now, she had every legal right to request what she desired ? Would you allow an employer to prevent you from something you were legally entitled too ?

And as a previous posted stated, if she doesn't want her job...there's a few of us who can be bothered to put the effort in, and would very much like the opportunity!
If anything JS has created more opportunity, for those looking for a job in BA, than existed when she was still Full-time. If you are lucky, this might trigger more PTWK for pilots in BA, thereby creating even more opportunity for those wanting a job in BA. You should celebrate the courts decision.