PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH A330 overrun in LOS
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2005, 17:59
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, guys!

I heard about a certain Super 727 with a single-digit callsign having to line up off-centre for a Lagos 36R departure, to miss this very Lagos pot-hole, which had everyone laughing. I guess no one stopped to think that it might be dangerous, but then we have mostly adjusted to local conditions, with local expectations.

For instance, I used to look at those herds of cows drifting across the approach path in Port Harcourt and take that as just part of the scene. I guess I never bothered to ask myself if they all spent the night with their parking brakes engaged. As it was, Air France just spoiled their airplane without hurting anyone except those wayward bovines, but it could have been a real disaster . They actually had the right-hand wheels on the right-hand MLG out in the dirt, which must have been rather sporty.

Things are visibly crumbling under the strain at both Lagos and Port Harcourt. Lots of fine words, not much action. Want to bet the Lagos contractor is stalling until they get paid for the work? Even if it is an Irish company....