PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 20 degree cant on CH-53 and HH-60
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2001, 15:16
Nick Lappos

Lu driveled, ands I answer point by point:
1) You keep evading the question saying in essence that your opinions are beyond reproach.

2) The collective bias causes the disc to tilt to the left. This slight change in the thrust vector counters the thrust of the tail rotor. Because the disc is tilted to the left the interlock between the blades and the rotorhead will cause the helicopter to tilt to the left or as you indicated left wheel low.

3) Because the mast is tilted three degrees
forward the helicopter will align itself with the rotorhead because of that same interlock between the blades and the head resulting in a nose high attitude.

4) Now get off your high horse and tell the forum why Sikorsky helicopters at least those that I am familiar with hover at such an odd angle. I was taught this in five different Sikorsky factory schools and I was taught about rigging the ASE in autopilot school and it was not my interpretation of what was said it is exactly what was said. I also rigged autopilots on the production line at Sikorsky. Go over to the service school and find out what is being taught. If you disagree, tell them, not me or for that matter the members of this forum.

Nick sez, to each dull point:
1) I try not to give opinions except when clearly stated as such. I give facts, unlike you, who drivel opinions, many inane and misapplied, and call them facts. I predict that when I take apart your latest crap, you will post about 500 words of garbage explaining how your misunderstanding is not your fault, and then you will spout another inane untrue "physical fact" and start this all over again. It is like wrestling a pig in the mud, after a while, you realize the pig doesn't want to win, it wants to wrestle!

2) Biasing the controls, such as the 1 degree of left lateral stick per 20 degrees of up collective on a Sikorsky, does not and can notmake the machine tilt in a hover. Your small understanding of a helicopter's force balance is exposed in your belief that this could happen. I explained above about the tail rotor's influence on the hover attitude, but you ignored that, didn't you? Biased controls only move the stick in the cockpit to recenter the stick and relieve the pilot of the task, otherwise we could make the helicopter fly upside down if we simply biased the controls enough, huh?

3) Mast tilt is not the same as biased controls, and mast tilt does influence the hover attitude. The 3 degree forward mast tilt causes some rotor moment to lift the nose a bit, so the hover attitude is raised about 2 degrees as a result. The tilt is there to relieve the mast moment (bending) in cruise, and to prevent big, draggy nose down attitudes in cruise flight. I don't have to look it up, Lu. I helped select the shaft tilt of the S-76 and Comanche (both 5 degrees, by the way).

4) I have no high horse, I have small tolerance for ignorant windbags, Lu. You are just that, and all your quotes about how many schools you (obviously) slept through do not make any justification for spouting misleading drivel to the forum members. I should do a DEJA search of your past postings and publish a book showing how you have helped a generation of new helo pilots mistrust manufacturers, misunderstand the aerodynamics of their aircraft, and perhaps even mistrust their machines.

I have broken my rule and directly responded only because you are so very very ignorant, and so very verbose it is hard not to respond.