PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Airline Based at Stansted- Maxjet
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2005, 08:45
jabird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Niceguy,

With all due respect, if you read my post on other start ups, you will see that I have given my honest thoughts on each one.

I don't think it was that hard to say EU Jet was doomed from the start. I have said positive and negative things about Flywho, but still don't think that kind of operation will work out of Birmingham.

I have also said plenty in defence of Alpha One, and acknowledge that Zoom so far appears to be successful, although I'll admit I haven't delved deep into their business plan.

I believe it was Laker who said "the easiest way to become a millionaire in aviation is to start as a billionaire". The industry is full of people with big ideas but no real commercial sense, whether at the helm of airlines or in the finance department of new airport projects. There are too many transport companies out there which are losing too much money for either their shareholders or the tax payers who bail them out, not to mention the times when consumers get done over.

But, for the record, I do run my own business, but I doubt I'd ever want to set up an airline. That doesn't stop me from having genuine respect for the brave souls that do, or from knocking the business plans of those airlines which appear on the surface to be unlikely to work.