PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow North Sea
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2001, 03:17
North Sea Phantom

This is the letter BHL pilots are circulating around.

13 June 2001

The Chairman
BALPA Company Council
Bristow Helicopters Ltd
Dear Mr Chairman,

Recently you asked us to submit a vote on the level of pay rise we would expect from the company this year. Since this last correspondence from the Company Council I have been involved in discussions with my work colleagues and it has become abundantly clear that the level of pay and conditions that we are currently receiving from the industry is wholly inadequate, and does not reflect the true value of our service to the industry.

As pilots we perform a valuable function, providing a safe and efficient service without which the North Sea Oil Industry would be considerably the poorer! Our colleagues in other areas of the oil industry are rewarded significantly more than we are, and it is felt that the oil companies are not recognising the importance of our role in the infrastructure of the industry on the whole of the North Sea.

It is well documented that the value of the remuneration received by individuals in our own profession, in other areas of our industry such as the charter airlines, is much higher. Paradoxically, their working environment is significantly less-demanding. This inconsistency has led to the drain of experienced licence holders from among our ranks attracted by the better pay and working conditions. This affects me, my career and my working environment directly, placing an even higher demand on my personal resources to continue to provide the level of service and safety to the oil industry.

I believe that we need to achieve an immediate change in two vital elements of our working environment. Primarily, my remuneration should reflect the importance of the service I provide, and secondly, I want a career with visible, and attractive horizons to stop the drain to fixed-wing. Accordingly, I want to direct you as my representative on the Company Council and as part of the negotiating team, to make it very clear to the company that a pay award of less than 50% will not be acceptable to me!

I also want to ask you to hold a meeting prior to the next meeting with the company, with a view to establishing a clear mandate for you to continue the negotiations with the company and to make it clear to them that any further stalling of negotiations is unacceptable, that I want to see an offer published immediately after your next meeting and if no offer is forthcoming, to decide on what action we should take as a workforce to ensure that the company understands the seriousness of my position!