PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 60
Thread: Age 60
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2005, 20:04
Colonel Klink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planoramix,

The EU law to which I was referring is an age discrimination law which becomes effective on the date I mentioned. It then becomes illegal to discriminate on the basis of age. Refer to Balpa for more information. The French and others will have no option but to fall into line.
Rememeber, the history of the Age 60 rule, especially as applied in the States has no physiological basis at all, I believe it was introduced among the legacy carriers many years ago to speed up promotion for the younger pilots because as the airlines expanded post-war there were many young Captains and far too many FO's would never have got a Command. I believe the same was introduced in France because of the strong Air France pilots Union. Rememeber, in the States crew members can fly in the RHS until 65, if I'm not mistaken so this ruling was industrially based only.
easyJet has said it has "startling new evidence" to suggest there is a slowdown after 62, but no study to my knowledge has been carried out and the people who would have been responsible may have a financial aspect at heart to cull older pilots because of the Loyalty Bonus.
Regards,
CK.