PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it legal ? ( a question about revised duties )
Old 26th Jul 2005, 12:28
Safety's No Accident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Folks, many thanks for the feedback and points of view - it's an interesting subject, is it not ?!

To add a few more details to it, as mentioned previously, the crew were originally rostered to report at 10:45Z, from which they would then operate three sectors, with planned off-duty time of 20:25Z.

But at 08:30Z they were 'stood down', and instead put on a standby from 16:00Z until 22:00Z - wherein Crewing tells them that they're on standby to potentially operate the originally planned third sector, following which they'd have the (as originally rostered) whole of the next day off as a lay-over down route (which hopefull answers one four sick's point about the next days duty).

However, what happened next is that Crewing call at 14:10Z (i.e. which is prior to the agreed standby period) and tell the crew to report at 17:55Z from which they're to operate the originally planned third sector, plus that they're also now required to fly onwards to an additional destination (one which would now see them off duty down-route at 04:45Z).

The point I wonder about is that, given that the crew were originally to operate what was very much planned as a day-time fllight, how is it that it seems 'legal' that one might find oneself operating through the subsequent night .... and, given the timing & announcements of the changes, at what point are the crew supposed to (hopefully) obtain some uninterrupted rest prior to operating a night flight ?

beardy - The Operations Manual is not quite as clear as one might like on this matter (imho) wherein the only section I can see which might cover it is where it says:
DELAYED REPORTING TIME IN A SINGLE FDP

When a crew me member is informed of a delay to the reporting time due to a changed schedule, before leaving the place of rest, the FDP shall be calculated as follows. When the delay is less than 4 hours the maximum FDP allowed will be based on the original report time and the FDP will start at the actual report time. When the delay is 4 hours or more, the maximum FDP will be calculated using the more limiting of the planned and actual report times and the FDP will start 4 hours after the original report time.
Nb. I've highlighted that last section as being the section which, in this case, might come closest, i.e. the originally rostered report time was 10:45Z and the ‘revised’ report time was 17:55 - and thus the revised start time of duty should maybe be 14:45Z ? ( the effect of which would then have been to completely exceeded the FLT’s and therein made it a no-go for a night flight)
Hence why, in the opening thread, I asked the question about what time ones newly revised duty period would start….. given that the revised / 17:55 duty start time falls within that of the originally planned duty. I.e. does this rule apply, given that one is stood-down, put on standby, called prior to the standby starting, to operate part of the originally rostered flight group, plus an additional sector (which was not rostered) but which then turns the whole thing into a night flight ?

jmc-man - You said 'what might you have been doing at 1410, if you were rostered to report at 17:55. In other words, would you have been asleep, to the point that the telephone call would have "disturbed" you?'
In response I would probably say that "Had one been informed, from the outset, i.e. at 08:30Z that one was being stood down and that at 17:55 one was required to report for night flight then a sensible person would have been taking rest / sleep - and probably have had the phone switched off".
However, that was not the information that was provided to the crew (see above), wherein they only found out that they were required to do a long night flight some 3:45 prior to being required to report on duty for it, which - given that one could live up to 1:30 minutes from ones base - leaves only 2:15 (less getting dressed time, etc) to stop what one's doing and say to oneself "I must I must go to sleep, I must I must go to sleep" (which is pretty impossible, isn't it ?! )... wherein would you really think that the crew members were adequately rested in such circumstances ?