PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA cadet pilot (Merged - Again!).
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2005, 14:05
Limpeh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ripley:

As mentioned in an earlier posting, there have been other candidates who have attempted the first interview many times, some with success, others without. The record that I know of is 7 times and now he is a captain in SIA. So, people out there, dun lose hope if you've failed the first interview.

Again, regarding the first interview, it really depends who you get in the room. The questions may vary, so dun try to memorise the "ideal" answers, cos your answers will determine how you stand in the interviews. Just answer them the best that you know how, and be confident. If you dun know the answers, then just tell them straight.

As for your age, I think it's gonna be a 50-50. Though I know other "older" trainees, you might be rejected based on age. Anyway, during your interview, you will definitely be asked on your age, and your passion. Cos it'll be a huge question mark for them if you have passion and have not applied previously.

Additionally, if you're afraid of losing your "rice bowl", then I'm afraid you'll be in for a big surprise. Most of us here have given up one thing or another to get this job. I know of others who were earning a lot and with families, and yet, they are willing to give it all up (finance wise) to get paid a measly 1k to join SIA as a cadet. That's passion. We have engineers, lawyers, architects, doctors, in their previous employment histories, and now, they're flying for SIA. Just think seriously if you really want this job. It is very demanding, and stressful, but if you like flying, then it's not a problem for you. I love this job myself, that's why I dun find it too stressful nor demanding.

To the rest, here are some answers...

Being a RSAF pilot or pilot trainee does have some fringe benefits. Surely, te RSAF pilots join SIA under a different scheme, which is not applicable to most people here, so I shall not discuss that. As for being a pilot trainee, it is kind of like a double-edged sword. SIA will gain complete access to your previous records, and if RSAF deemed you unsuitable to fly (even commerically), then that's it for you. Definitely, SIA will ask you for the reasons why you were terminated in the first place, and would that affect your flying with SIA. For those who drop out of RSAF pilot training due to medical reasons, you'll stand a better chance or getting in, providing that the medical cause will not affect your flying or otherwise. Again, for those former pilot trainees out there, be prepared to be asked why you were terminated, and at which stage.

Hope this answers some questions here.