PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jessica Starmer - BALPA's view (Update - Appeal decision)
Old 24th Jul 2005, 19:08
QDMQDMQDM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a private pilot and a GP. My wife is also a GP. We each work half time, which equates to two days a week (yeah, I know, life is hard, hey?). If we make a mistake, a patient can die. It's not as dramatic as when an airline pilot makes a mistake, but for the individual the effect is the same.

In our early years as doctors we worked stupid hours, which were unsafe. Junior doctors don't do the same today, quite rightly. However, they do still do a reasonable amount in a short period and it is this intensity of working which consolidates the experience. There is something about doing it a lot in a short time, which is important in the learning curve. You learn more full time in five years than you do half time in ten years and I think the quality of that experience is different.

I don't know the full details of this case, but I think the principle that someone in a profession like yours or mine should work full-time in the early years to be safe and gain the relevant experience is a sound one.

Even though I am a dosser who now works as a doctor a mere two days a week (although I have various other business interests) and my wife is the same, strangely enough we both probably support BA on this one.

QDM