PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Announcement re the Rocks
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2005, 17:37
SirToppamHat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
norvenmonkey

Don't take this the wrong way way, but what exactly is your point? I think this is all old news.

In my view, the RAF gave up GBAD when it let Bloodhound go and failed to replace it with Patriot when the opportunity arose ... volumetrically speaking, the capability of Rapier is so limited as to be not worth considering in terms of the whole battlespace (dons kevlar helmet and awaits incoming). That said, from what dealings I have had with the RA, I would suggest that Rapier is now a far more potent threat than it ever has been in the hands of the RAF Regt ... unfortunately, it is now a greater threat to our own ac than any enemy.

What makes this whole change so silly is that it makes no sense whatsoever in terms of an overall milltary capability ... in fact, I am led to believe that Rapier was lost to the Army as part of a quid pro quo for something completely unrelated. Whilst the FUs can be trundled down the road and handed over to the RA, it's going to take a long long time for the RA to get close to the levels of expertise developed by the RAF Regt (that really hurt me to say).

Haven't we been here before?
Round and round and round we go, where it all stops .....

STH