PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATCO turns pilot...
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2005, 15:00
ASD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am 25, also an ATC and would love to be a pilot!

The pay in my country for ATC is not as good as that in other countries hence I am struggling busy paying for my PPL - dont know how i will afford CPL - ATP!!!

I do realise we get comfy as ATC and start earning a decent salary and to switch isnt easy - but the bottom line is do what your heart tells u to do.

I LOVE ATC - so I am very lucky that I have a job I enjoy, but it will always be my number 2 job, number 1 i would want to be a pilot, so I am still striving to do that.

I am also in a contract with my company so I couldnt leave even if I wanted to at this stage, but what I will try and do is get my CPL ATP part time when and where I can (dont know where the money is going to come from) and then hopefully by the time my contract is up, will be able to go and fly (but then with no flying experience, there is no job - catch 22 as always).

So maybe go to a country that does pay extremely well as ATC for a few years, then do the full pilot course and hopefully see from there... Qatar has cadet program once u have CPL IF and ATP but of course you need to be below 29 yrs of age so there is always the age factor that creeps into it.

I dont know, take it one day at a time and see where life takes you...

Do you think an airline or charter co or anyone will take preference over someone who has been an ATC rather than someone with the same pilot qualification but no ATC experience... my answer IMHO is YES. So I think ATC has to count for something.