PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Female Pilots
Thread: Female Pilots
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2005, 13:20
MikeGodsell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wirlygig, Ha Ha.

This has been debated al length and with much heat! on Rumours & News.

What seems to have come out of that debate is:
An airline pilots job is not the same as an office job, plumber, etc.
If an airline pilot fouls-up, people are going to die. Therefore airline pilots must be fit, competant, and do enough flying to remain ahead of the game. (Enough spare mental capacity to cope with an emergency)

British Airways have a good reputation as an equal opportunites employer, and generous in time off for maternity reasons. But in the case of one women pilot they have had to say "NO, you can't have more than a year off work on full pay, then come back to fly only 50% of normal hours! Safety comes first"

To have a successful flying career, and bring up a family has always been a difficult balancing act for women airline pilots. But many have managed it and become captains. However J.S. is not in that calibre. She seems to be deliberately milking the system in a shameless way.

I realise that times have changed, and yes employers should take responsibility for the children of their employees. But the principle of a "fair days pay for a fair days work" is still valid.

I am outraged at the actions of J.S. and of BALPA who supported her. But I am an old aviator, possibly a bit out of touch, and you should make up your own minds as to the rights & wrongs of the situation.
MG