PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Female Pilots
Thread: Female Pilots
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2005, 13:20
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whirlygig,

If I remember the Jessica Starmer case correctly, she didn't have the hours/experience for BA to allow her to work half-time, but her husband did. In terms of bringing up their kids, it would have been perfectly possible for him to work part time. BA claimed that it was a safety issue, and from what I know about flying less hours when you're inexperienced, that makes sense to me. It wasn't a gender issue, till she tried to make it one. If I'm remembering correctly - and if I'm not, let me know and I'll delete the post - then basic logic says she should have lost her case.

IMHO, it's about time everyone realised that both parents are responsible for bringing up children. Jessica had a right to want to bring up her child, but no right to expect that BA should change their rules to let her, when the child's other parent could have done so.

However, if other women in the airlines have suffered, that is prejudice, pure and simple. If a red-haired man beats you up, does that make all red-haired men bad? In the light of recent events, are all Moslems evil? Becasue Hitler was German, are all Germans damned for eternity? Because I'm 5ft 2ins tall, does that mean all women are short? And because one woman wins a case where she shouldn't, why should that affect the way other women are viewed?

Sadly, I suspect it has/will. But whatever else you blame Jessica Starmer for, you can't blame her for that. She is not responsible for the world's view of half the human race.