PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cattle Mustering incl Training, Job Prospects (!) etc etc
Old 4th Jun 2001, 14:59
rotorque

Hi guys,

Pac' to give you an answer to your question, most Queenslanders seem to use H300's (or whatever they are called now), where as in the NT and top WA they use the R22 almost exclusively now.
I left the NT about 3 years ago now and miss it dearly, I was fortunate enough to operate B47's and KH4's most of the time. They don't seem to go for the 47 anymore due to the fact that most stations have got to provide the fuel for each muster. Obviously you can't beat the fuel flow of a robbie. Most of the mining work is still done in 47's and KH4's.

Sandman', the mustering industry is a little bit clicky. You have to be able to walk the walk and talk the talk, so to speek. Most mustering pilots have come from a cattle background. It is the only way that they can get credibility from station managers and workers. The other problem now is that the industry is crowded. There are a large number of commercial operators and private blokes out there so you have to know your stuff. The stations and companies can't afford to have pilots that are going to push cattle to hard, or miss large numbers etc, the dollar is too tight for that.

Don't get me wrong, there are still oportunities, but they are harder to find now. The mustering industry is a different place these days. But the Aussie dollar is better for live export and everyone knows the foot and mouth problem overseas, so there should be some movement in the industry. Even if you don't get into chasing cattle around there is always mining, survey, conservation commission, DPI&F, bush fire and tourist work in the top end that will keep pilots coming through the ranks.

Don't be too discouraged, probably 80% of the pilots working in Australia have come from the bush.

Cheers