PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Vision Goggles (NVG discussions merged)
Old 12th Jun 2001, 02:44
NASUS

Talking

I'm a Police pilot with the Victoria police Air Wing in Melbourne Australia. I have used NVGs in the Military and now we are seriously considering them here in the Force. We operate IFR Dauphines (2 off) on 24 hour shifts on both EMS and Police ops both Metro and country (The Air Wing covers the whole Victorian state (approx the same size as whole of GB). The terrain varies from fairly flat desert to mountainous terrain.

All I can say is that if I had a choice between flying with NVGs or unaided I'll always pick using the NVGs. Sure they have limits but these can be overcome with training and experience. I'm not advocationg that they should be used to do NOE or multi-ship assualts onto target areas but instead thay would make night navigation sooo much easier and safer.

Our philosophy is that pilots must be IFR rated and current and flying an IFR Helo. Both the pilot and observer in the front seats must be goggled at same time but the GIB won't as he may have to operate the FLIR.

As for cockpit mods. Well if you have paid 100,000 pounds then you've been had!!!! We got an approx quote of 20,000 pounds to do a Dauphin cockpit which is larger than the EC135 and even if you double that price its still way less than the 100,000 suggested. And that was from an UK firm (Oxley Avionics. You can do it for even less if you use the system that Rocky Mountain Helicopters (with the help of Red Wing Aviation) in the States did for their Mama One EMS chopper. You need to shop around!!!

Anyway I have a powerpoint presentation that we put together here on CD if anyone would like a copy please email me and I'll send it (but not too many otherwise the postage will kill me)....

[This message has been edited by NASUS (edited 12 June 2001).]

[This message has been edited by NASUS (edited 12 June 2001).]