PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1,500 hour Internship for £29,500 - Good Deal?
Old 23rd Jul 2005, 19:11
LiSrt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New here so apologies if I ask anything already answered at length elsewhere (did some searching but couldn't find what I was looking for).

1stly, this seems like the type of thing I want -- a cost-effective way of being an employable pilot; however, I'm a bit confused on some points:

Would this be a good way to achieve "escape velocity"? (i.e. get to the stage where you're actually *making* money overall from your flying). It seems this is a formalisation of the vague idea I had to:

1. go to the U.S.

2. get training necessary to be able to instruct there

3. build up the hours while making enough to live (frugally) on until qualified to apply direct to airlines (either here in the UK or in the US)

Really all I want to know is whether this type of course is the best way to achieve the goal I've described.

Something I've also been considering is going the whole hog and trying to become a US citizen at some point (not solely for a flying career) would things be significantly cheaper if I wanted to do what was required to be a professional pilot in America only?

my current situation is about £7000+ in the bank while being able to save up at least £5000 a year (temporary jobs -- hopefully I'll get something better + live more economically to be able to save more).
Loans are perhaps a possibility but I'd prefer not to have to get into debt.

got aero eng (ordinary) and software eng (2:2) degrees + some sub-PPL hours (mainly RAF flying scholarship)

Thanks in advance for any advice/info.