PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Pension Scheme
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2005, 17:10
Down 4 Reprogram

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just this once...

I haven't checked the rest of your figures yet, but note that the online calculator seems to underestimate the PA pension under AFPS75 for Flt Lts if you PVR as well as if you stay to 55.

As far as I can tell Pilots/WSO(N)/Rearcrew Flt Lt's need to add 33.7p for each day they are on the PAS to the AFPS75 figures given. That equates to an extra £2091 pension if you stay to from 38 to 55. The PAS Sqn Ldr figures appear correct to me. I haven't checked the figures for NCA as there is no lower Spec Aircrew equivalent. The AFPS05 figures also look OK to me.

IMHO the PBS is good for ground trades, where there is little difference in the AFPS75/AFPS05 comparison between say a Flt Lt Level 6 and a Flt Lt Level 9. My own PBS shows a comparison based on standard Flt Lt Level 9, when in fact I would retire on PAS Level 30 making a huge difference in pensions etc. I suggest you look carefully at the figures yourself and try and decode exactly what it means to you. Personally I have written a spreadsheet to do the hard sums. A couple of people have asked me for a copy, but it quickly became apparent that there are wide variations in requirements - what if you have previous service to take into account, or joined the PAS later than 38 etc? So in effect it is unfortunately down to you to do the donkey work and sort out what is best for you and your family.

If you are still confused then why not speak to your "unit administrative staff" or the OTT desk, as recommended in your OTT pack up, to see if they can sort out these problems or even better sort out the errors in the calculator.

Good luck.

D4R