PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Ambulance Crashes Hit Record: Why?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2005, 14:09
SASless

Received 559 Likes on 228 Posts
When I owned a large over the road truck I had much better navigation capability than I have ever had in a helicopter.

I managed to find a location in Wisconsin during a blizzard when all of the street signs were blanked out due to snow sticking on them. In the middle of the night I found the location and pulled into the driveway only to get lost in the parking lot due to the lack of visibility. The beauty of a GPS linked moving map display on a laptop computer in action. Communication and monitoring of the truck was done by satellite. On some trucks the office not only can tell exactly where you are...but how fast the truck is moving...what gear it is in....the fuel quantity, oil pressure, Engine RPM...all sorts of historical data....hours in operation, hours driven that day....percentage of idle time.

Combine that with e-mail type messaging and again...much better than any helicopter I have ever flown.

The technology is out there....why does the FAA have such problems in approving it? Deal with the FAA and find out....too many of the FAA guys are afraid to make a decision....make come back and haunt them some day..thus no decision made.