PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eating Break Whilst on Flying Duty
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2005, 11:20
HeartBrokenProp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eating Break Whilst on Flying Duty

Dear ALL,

I', not sure if this is the right place for it but here it goes.

I work for a scheduled airline in the UK and was wondering what is the law regarding our rights as Cabin Crew/Flight Crew to minimum Lunch Break or just a break whilst on duty flying?

I used to work in an office and the requirement is that for every 4hrs of work you MUST take a 20min break.

Our turn arounds are 30min and most of the time you don’t get a chance to eat crew food because we have to clean the a/c do security check and the next thing you know the pax are at the door step.

I have gone without eating on sectors and I know that’s not good and even sometimes felt weak.

Some Capt give us a few mins and stop boarding so that we can eat, they then get into trouble with management for being late. Other Capt are just worried about their own a*** to go on time and then they eat their food up front during the flight where we can’t eat at all because there is no time as sectors are short.

I’m looking for some legislation to show to management that air crew must have minimum break during the day and on average I fly 8hrs a day, I need to eat and be watered if only that, after all we are humans too. There is just so much commercial pressure to be on time it’s not good for all of us any more and not eating has to be a safety issue.

It seems that we as air crew seem to have less rights than factory workers!!!

Does this happen in your airline?
Can something be done about this?

Thank you in advance, all replies welcome.

HBP.