PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Airlines/China Airlines F/O, (update)-Merged Twice!.
Old 23rd Jul 2005, 04:19
International Trader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That accomodation allowance is for captains.
F/O apparently live in lower standards and get NT$29,000 per mth. That equates to a 20 year old single bedroom apartment in town or sharing with others.
You can pay less but, not in Taipei, only out of town. Not a westerner "user friendly" place.
I wouldn't consider it with a family with children. Just too tough if the family is stuck there all the time. Could not do that to my family. Government schooling is just not suited to westerners and forget about expat schools($$$) on F/O salary.
You will work to a employment policy once you start and that will differ from what is said at the interview. Very hard to get an answer from the pay mistress beyond" you are being paid correctly"

Remember: ELO pilots lose the accomodation and DTA in ElO ports. The time spent in your country could also cause tax problems for your self.
The company will look at it if it is their interest only.

Finally, to my knowledge there has not been 1 expat upgrade to captain in the biggest period of expansion that the company has seen in a long time. That is, despite there being many expat F/Os and R/Ps that have more command hours than several local captains combined . Reason: you are excluded from the command pool.
It is a national pilots airline after all.
A captains lot is reasonable unless you fall out of favour with the management.
On the Interviews: Don't worry, I you have a licence and previous heavy jet time, you will be offered a job. That part is a "No brainer".
Medical is extensive but few fail .