PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATCO turns pilot...
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2005, 22:58
RomeoMikeAlpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I actually started out as a pilot and then got into ATC since it was so hard to find a job.

I've been in ATC now for a little over three years and I'm getting the itch to go back to flying. Unfortunately, 'age' has alot to do with the decision you make.

I'm 29 and I think I may be too late to switch esp since I don't even have 300 hours flying (just a CPL/IR and a frozen ATPL).

The other thing to consider is, at least in my case, I don't think I can earn anywhere near as much as I am making right now from flying. I'd also have to reach an agreement with the wife on a career change (You might not have that obstacle) which can cause financial instability, to say the least.

One thing that's making my decision a little easier is that I am a dual citizen and the country I was born in, the main carrier there is running a cadetship program where I am guaranteed a right seat on an airbus if I pass the flight training which I've already done. Ofcourse I'd be signing a 12 year contract and the pay isn't that great.

But that's what we do for the love of flying, right? Hmm...try convincing my wife that.

Anyway, its a tough decision whatever your circumstances are. Think it through carefully and remember that job security is better with ATC imho, but the joy of a flying career can be amazing.

Good luck with any choice you make.