PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Further London Explosions
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2005, 20:56
STANDTO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, the moment I have been waiting for on PPrune - when I actually can talk from a position of professional practice, rather than just general interest in a subject.

As we say on here when some poor fellow blunts in - can we leave the speculation and conjecture until the full facts become known?

The officer that took the decision to do what he - or she - did ( and it was a decision, based on training and judgement) is probably still at work. They are having an incredibly long day, based on taking a judgement call which will potentially change the face of policing in the British Isles forever.

The situation they will find themselves in won't be far off that of Jack Ryan in Patriot Games. I know I would never sleep quite the same in my bed, especially if my identity became widely known.

They have taken a massively brave decision. They obviously feared an imminent attack from the instructions they gave to bystanders. However gung-ho or thick as p*g**** you might think bobbies are, the truth is, we don't let people carry a gun unless we are absolutely sure they are up to it.

Some of the comments on here would tend to make armed police officers wonder why they bother. If they decide not to - because it is purely voluntary - then prepare for anarchy, or a military state.

CV? 10 years of a fifteen year career as an AFO. currently a tactical adviser, and currently qualified on Glock, MP5, G36, Taser, and baton gun.

STANDTO

Last edited by STANDTO; 22nd Jul 2005 at 21:16.