PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackpool airport just lost another business user!
Old 22nd Jul 2005, 15:09
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
OHJ is a standard join at many GA fields, and the odds are it was in the approach sheet anyhow. Where's the problem - that you didn't read Pooleys, called up close to the field and were forced to climb when you didn't expect it?
I said this above, and arguably was a little critical of MD600 driver.

I've now been re-united with my current Pooleys, and am going to retract what I've said and explain why.

Sandtoft does not publish in Pooleys, AFE or (so far as I can tell) anywhere else a mandatory OHJ. What is stated in both however is that the airfield radio is A/G only. It also does not state any requirement for mandatory PPR.

So, whilst it might be good practice, nobody is requiring you to phone and get a briefing, nor are they publishing a particular join. Also, in instructing you to make a particular join, the A/G operator was seriously exceeding what they are allowed to do. So I take it all back.

That said, I've been in and out of Sandtoft quite a few times, and rather like the place - they do a mean pie and chips! I'm inclined to think that you found them on an off day. If you have an hour to spare there sometime, get somebody to show you the graveyard with the rotting Lancaster and B-25 over the other side of the runway from the hangars.

(Incidentally, many Spamcan drivers asked to make an OHJ have to climb for it too!).

G