PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it really worth it ??
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2005, 16:42
Number Cruncher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VFE

I feel for you and for every other guy out there struggling for their first break, but you really need to do what's best for yourself and worry less about your peers as I’m sure they'd do the same given the chance.

I understand peoples attitudes towards buying types, but as I see it at the moment it really is the only way to fast track yourself to the jets and a decent living with that. Its no good worrying about 'not giving into the airlines' because as you state there are a lot of others out there who will take up such schemes.

I spoke to a senior bloke from Astraeus just the other day and he stated that 100% of the students that had enrolled onto the 737 type with hours scheme to date had gone onto employment, most before even finishing the 100 hours they offer. There are other schemes out there. Wizz offer some scheme which gives you 500 hours A320, of which I know little more about.

If you can get the cash together I’d say go for it. If you don't, when you eventually get a job, if they have to rate you you'll be on a less salary anyway, so what I guess I’m saying is that you're gonna have to take the hit sooner or later.

I've done the sums (look at my username). Let this also be a warning to those looking for Oxford and the rest of those types - a basic licence is not very likely to get you a jet job - unless you're extremely gifted!

Good luck VFE