PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Typhoon Close Call At RIAT
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2005, 10:45
Greek God

Mmmmm PPruuune!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There has also been no mention of the FPV (Flight Path Vector) which is a real time dynamic presentation of the aircrafts flight path in the HUD and or HDD. The F16 is limited to 25alpha and no amount of extra pull will increase that so at max alpha FPV in the runway = ground kill therefore time to leave al la the T-Bird accident (Who I believe had an incorrect altimeter setting and went through his gate too low) The Tyhoon is a completely different kettle of fish and while the pilot may have exceeded his minimum height I would be reasonably sure he knew he had the required performance margin to not do a T-Bird. Air display flying by its nature has an inherant risk but only ME & his team will know how close he came - as also mentioned the Tyhoon is a quantam leap ahead of anything the RAF has had to date, many will not appreciate this if trying to compare it to "normal a/c" If indeed he did request to climb to 5000ft and repeat the manoeuvre to me that is a mark of the professional - Miscalculation, misjudgement, distraction whatever, he learnt and improved Good Job I say.