PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rotor and Wing Magazine
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2001, 22:55
Cyclic Hotline

Smile

Likewise and no offence taken.

Obviously, you are equally entitled to your own opinion and it is not my intent to detract from your assessment of this publication, only to state my own.

Personally, I find a lot of the content and coverage tedious and repetitive. The "news" might have been news once, but routinely, it's shelf-life expired long before the publication date!

The rounds of interviews with "industry leaders" are equally tiresome, appearing as self important, hyped-up portraits of the individuals concerned. Lets see them answer some of the more challenging questions about their business that could be thrown their way!

Maybe some other suggestions if anyone is interested: -

Try asking the readership to gauge how they rate various types (including military and Russian), how well the manufacturers support their products, respond to problems and improve their products and service.

Lets hear some detail on how to sustain and grow the industry; tackle the specific problems in the various sectors of the industry; deal with the airworthiness and support problems of the various helicopter types; deal with governmental and regulatory issues and some serious flight test reviews by pilots who at least know the sector and equivalent type comparisons.

Lets see serious analysis of operator and labour relationships; unionisation; contract personnel; expanded information on pay, benefits, working conditions; low time pilots; lack of new personnel joining the industry; loss of experienced personnel to other sectors of aviation or industries, etc.

Safety and training; accident and incident analysis, and avoidance; technological developments that operators in the real world use, and do not consist solely of a Press Release for some ridiculously priced military application that will never see the light of day in commercial aviation.

There have always been some worthwhile things to read in R&W (particularly Ray Prouty) and I still look at every issue, but it only takes a few minutes to read anymore.

Some other publications that might be of interest(not listed in any particular order);
Helicopter International
Pacific Rotors
Helicopter World
Helicopters (Canadian)
Rotor (HAI)
rotorhub.com
Professional Pilot
Business and Commercial Aviation
Aviation International News