PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying with the wrong hand
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2005, 09:37
FormationFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be honest its a matter of time nothing more - only takes a couple of flights to sort out.

I now regularly fly left/right handed on yokes/sticks and throttles from left or right seats. I dont even think about it now.

My only word of caution is this. If you are flying in formation beware - In some aircraft it is easier to fly odds from the right seat rather than the left due to the windshield curvature.

Don't attempt to fly in formation using a hand/control/seat combination you arent used to. It can be tempting sometimes because other people are often seen doing it all the time - but interestingly enough the issues experienced in the first post are extremely common - almost all instructors find when moving to RH seat flying that their first couple of hours seem them once or twice doing completely the wrong thing - although its less usual to do it wrong with the control column/yoke/stick thingy...The most likely and common errors I have seen have all been throttle control!

I encourage everyone to fly a number of aircraft types and get a good feel flying left or right handed - it can always come in useful...