PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eagle advertising overseas
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2005, 01:27
MOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
splat

I'm sure you do want them, and I agree you won't get them. However, where I disagree is on the subject of how you deal with it. The simple fact is that it is completely irrelevant how good your SOPs are, because SOPs cannot compensate for fatigue, or a failure of judgement caused by fatigue.

Sure, you can screw up in an automated flight deck, you can screw up in any flight deck. The trick is managing the risk, and you can't get past the fact that your 1900 crew are going to be a lot more "at risk" after a long day in crappy weather than a crew who have the help of an autopilot.

Airlines who are safety-focused manage the risk first and the commercial imperative second. That is why truly safety-focused airlines fill their aircraft up with all the toys.

If you think I am wrong, research aircraft accidents over the last 20 years and you will see my point.

Now the original point of the thread was about expat Kiwis being enticed home to fly these wonderful 1900s. Most of us who have worked in Europe have worked in a safety culture that would never contemplate asking crews to operate without all the necessary tools to get the job done with the maximum emphasis on safety - in fact under JAR most of it is mandated anyway. I suspect many of my fellow Euro workers will not want to come back for the sort of conditions on offer in NZ.

The biggest surprise for me is that so many Eagle people are so quick to defend a clearly flawed equipment choice, but there you go. It's the culture.

yigy2

Of course it is, but then we aren't talking about Kiwi GA pilots, we are talking about expats overseas, most of whom will be flying shiny new jet equipment at the moment.