PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JetRanger around the UK
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2005, 20:38
Grainger
PPRuNe Enigma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course - Barra ! On the beach . . .

Can't get much lower than that I guess without testing the pop-out floats !

RH - mainly I would take a Flight Information service from whoever's available. So from Cumbernauld down to Sleap for example, I worked first with Glasgow Approach, then Scottish Information (who were very helpful with weather reports) and then onto Carlisle.

After Carlisle, Warton were off, so I took a Flight Information Service from Blackpool (again very helpful) and then straight onto Barton.

After Barton, a very friendly chap at Manchester gave me a service through the VFR corridor.

The one I had difficulty with this far north was London Information - they were too busy helping people across the channel I think. A bit odd hearing people calling in from Cherbourg when you are up around Lancashire !

From Gloucester down to Dunkeswell I worked first Bristol Filton then Bristol Radar - complicated airspace with quite a few other aircraft dodging weather but again they gave me an excellent service.

Exeter looked after me around Devon, then from Dunkeswell up to Wycombe, first Boscombe then Farnborough. I always find the military zones very helpful indeed although they can go off duty in the evenings.

Next leg of the story coming soon - I'll try to include some more details in the writeup.

Cheers,

G