PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it really worth it ??
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2005, 15:05
tom24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you would be paid less than half that
For a jet FO? I don't think so.

But, back to the original question, I think it heavily depends on your personal circumstances. If you've paid for your mortgage, your kids are grown up, your wife won't mind the halting of meals out, can afford the loss of salary, you can survive whilst receiving PFO after PFO, then you may as well give it a go.

There are a lot of people on here who live with the fairies and don't seem to understand that people have responsibilities and commitments and will say things like "go for your dreams". Yes, we would all like that but at some point you have to get real and give into the fact that it may really be too late.

I don't know much about you, but age wise I think you still have a chance. If you have the cash to splash I would certainly give it a go. However, as time is the only thing against you I think you should consider an integrated course with one of the big boys (And before I get shot down I am going modular and prefer the modular route overall, but integrated is the way for this guy considering his circumstances). I'd go for Oxford. Yes, it’s expensive and it’s a gamble, but any school you go to in your case is going to be a gamble. If you are extremely gifted the chances are you'll be recommended to the airlines and then sorted.

Failing that, go modular, keep your job but you'll really have to work your ass off every night cos you'll want to complete the groundschool ASAP. Once done, quit your job, do a modular CPL/IR and then pay for a type rating straight away. With a basic CPL/IR at your age, you will find it almost impossible as you'll be up against a lot of younger people than yourself.

Good luck with whatever you go for. Some of my message may seem harsh, but this game isn’t for the faint hearted, but I’m sure you're still in with a pretty good chance!

Good luck.