PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cost of Life models and other quantitative risk analysis techniques
Old 19th Jul 2005, 11:52
ClickRich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost of Life models and other quantitative risk analysis techniques

I'm studying the new Corporate Manslaughter laws in the UK and in particular trying to review what would be expected of an airport or airline operator's risk assessments/safety management systems to ensure avoidance of a life sentence in the event of an accident. I don't mean to put the cart before the horse, but putting aside preventative considerations for a moment...

It would seem that the tenor of the legislation is about "as low as reasonably practicable" (ALARP) being measured against best practice across all industries (nuclear, petrochemical etc) rather than peers (other airports). These other industries have built up sophisticated analysis techniques of "cost of life models", "target safety levels" and "peak to average ratios" where I believe airports and airlines largely still use rules of thumb without the rigorous quantitative assessment. Don't get me wrong, this has served us well to date and could well continue to- but it might not keep us out of prison!

Does anyone know of any airline or airport operator who applies these advanced techniques? The most sophistication I've found is an 'acceptance' that 2 birdstrikes per 10,000 ATMs is ok/normal... Not what I'd consider a comprehensively defined target or analysis!